Designated Neighbourhood School & Find My School Website
Designated Neighbourhood School
In Victoria, children of compulsory school age are entitled to be enrolled at their designated neighbourhood school. The designated neighbourhood school is generally the government school within closest proximity to the student’s permanent residential address, unless the Minister or their delegate (such as the Regional Director) has restricted the zone of a school. In such cases, a child’s designated neighbourhood school may not be their nearest school.
Students are able to apply for a place at a school that is not their designated neighbourhood school. All requests from students living outside the school’s zone will be considered by the Principal at the preferred school.
If there are sufficient places, under the Placement Policy it is expected that government schools will accept all students of school age seeking enrolment at the school.
Where there are insufficient places at a school for all students who seek entry, students are enrolled according to the Placement Policy’s priority order of placement, which has six criteria. Schools ensure that all applicants eligible under a criterion have been offered a place before moving to consideration of the next. All students for whom the school is the designated neighbourhood school are guaranteed a place. The priority order of placement is as follows:
- Students for whom the school is the designated neighbourhood school
- Students with a sibling at the same permanent address who are attending the school at the same time
- Where the Regional Director has restricted the enrolment, students who reside nearest the school
- Students seeking enrolment on specific curriculum grounds
- All other students in order of closeness of their home to the school.
- In exceptional circumstances, compassionate grounds.
- For further information on siblings, restricted enrolment and appeals see the Placement Policy Guidelines
Find My School
The Victorian Government Find My School website visually represents all mainstream school zones in Victoria. You can find a designated neighbourhood school by a residential address search OR search using the name of a school.
The result will show:
- the location of the school in the zone in relation to the residential address (if provided)
- information about the school, its region and a link to the school website.